Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Here's Lisa!

Hello Everyone...Lisa Here...

Well doesn’t the time go quickly – here I am again writing another entry in the blog and as I am sitting here watching another series of `Hells Kitchen` it made me think of disasters in the kitchen I am sure you can all think of at least one (ok maybe not Steve I hear you are a culinary genius although I have yet to taste any of it lol – ifs that not a huge hint then I don’t know what is) Marie’s cakes are talked about for days and days and are gorgeous and Neil can cook but your not always guaranteed what’s on the menu it depends what the corner shop has on special and if he can think of a good title for it!!!

This made me think of disasters that happen and I can remember one time when I was much younger and I had a birthday party – had lots of friends from school and we had a really good time and then came my birthday cake. My Mum had baked a fabulous chocolate cake with icing and candles, and everyone sung Happy Birthday and my mum cut the cake and started to give it out – my brother (who shall remain nameless) was the first to taste it and pulled the most awful face and spat it out shouting `yuk. ` All eyes turned and looked at him in horror. My Mum who wanted to know what was wrong took a bite of the cake and then went quiet, she then went into the Kitchen and came back out and took the cake off the table and went into the Kitchen and returned with Ice Cream!

When all my friends had gone home and we were clearing the table, my grandma turned to us and said that Mum had picked up the wrong packet from out of the cupboard and instead of chocolate had added bisto, we all started laughing – my poor Mum never lived it down it was always mentioned at parties and weddings and even at her funeral.

I have had some cooking disasters in my time usually its around timing (no innuendoes please). But I have to say that one of the best dishes I have made in a long time was on Eurovision Night at Neil’s last year. Martin, Lauren, Neil and I cooked a different dish from countries that were performing in the Eurovision. We put the names of the country in a hat and drew one out and the country we pulled out we had to cook a dish from that country. Mine was the main course and the country was Greece.

I made moussaka from scratch it cost a small fortune but was worth it, as I have to say it was one of the best dishes I have cooked for a long time. Gina and Neil and maybe some others may agree with me here but when you are single and live on your own you don’t get much of a chance to show off your culinary skills and I do love to cook. But maybe it would be nice to do a dinner party in the not too distant future (another hint at Steve lol).

Anyway thanks for letting me waffle on and I will see you next Tuesday x



A man and a woman started to have sex in the middle of a dark forest. After 15 minutes of this, the man finally gets up and says, "Damn, I wish I had a flashlight." The woman says, "So do I. You've been eating grass for the past ten minutes!"


The manager hired a new secretary. He was young, smart, handsome and polite. One day while taking dictation, he noticed the manager’s fly was open. When he was leaving the room, he courteously said, "Oh, by the way sir, did you know that your barracks door is open?" The manager did not understand the secretary’s remark, but later on he happened to look down and saw that his zipper was open. He decided to have some fun with his new employee. Calling him in, he asked, "By the way Mr. Jones, when you saw my barracks door open, did you also see a soldier standing at attention?" The secretary, who was also quite witty, replied, "Why no, sir. All I saw was a little, disabled veteran sitting on two duffel bags."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi all
Logged on to try and take my mind off of eating........that worked well.
I do agree with you Lisa, that cooking for one is no fun, I haven't forgotten I have small child but as he only eats pasta, pizza, noodles, chicken nuggets, and fish fingers, I would be hard pressed to call that cooking.
I've also heard that Steve is very handy in the kitchen, but todate I have not sampled any of his delights!
Hope you are feeling well again Neil. Can't log on tomorrow as on a team building day/night. See you all Thursday. Gx

Anonymous said...

great story lisa and i get the hint!!, and as for Gx, I am also pretty handy in the hall, stairs,cloakroom and anywhere else you can think of lol Steve

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to an internet free couple of days, but I promise the first thing I do when I return home is log on.
Steve, I'm a little confused, when you say you are handy in all those places, does that mean............ or are you offering to help me decorate? Love ya all Gx

ps How are you feeling Neil

Anonymous said...

decorating sounds fab to me!!!

Anonymous said...

yes lisa your mousaka was lovely but im still waiting for the recipe . martin

Anonymous said...

gina i think you have someone offering help in the decorating grab him with both hands - its not often you get an offer like that lol thanks guys for your comments - and matt if you have culinary skills you must share them lol

Lisa xxxxxxxx

ps get well soon neil miss you - and have a good team away time gina x

Anonymous said...

yes Lisa the food was great but Martins and Neils was very nice too lol. Shall miss it, a good night was had by all. hope you feeling better Neil. lovw you all xxxxx Lauren