Sunday, July 03, 2005

where were you when Live8 happened Grandad?

That will be the question that children will be muttering in about 20 years time after the events of yesterday. Our Steve seems to have gone AWol this week so I thought i would just fill in with a bit about Live8...summing it up it was everything that i wanted it and expected it to be.

I must admit that I don't feel Jonathan Ross offered anything in the way of entertainment or humour in between acts and i do feel that we should have been left to enjoy the films and feeds that the live audience were watching. Apparently a lot of the filler films had a lot to say and a lot to explain so why they deprived the tv audience of that I don't know. The event did not run as smoothly as Live Aid as it seemed that everyone wanted a private soundcheck before they went on, signs of change I suppose...20 years ago everybody was happy to use one set of drums, one vocal mike, keyboards etc and the acts filed on one after another.

Mcartney and U2 were a great partnership to begin with and Sgt Peppers went down a storm. It was great to see newer acts as well as older acts take the stage, personally i didn't really enjoy Razorlite and I think Pete Dougherty should have stayed at home but overall the rest of the acts were great. Annie Lennox shone, as did Madonna. The night was made for me by the arrival on stage of Pink Floyd, the first time they had all played together in 22 years and it was magnificent. The pure musicianship was a joy to watch even if they did look like they had all just stepped off from doing a gig on a cruise liner.

I had the pleasure of having Lisa and Martin with me for the whole day and I think we all enjoyed it in between the eating, drinking and general merriment. I do hope the day makes a difference and i will be interested to see what happens in the news by the end of the week.

MAKE POVERTY HISTORY

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from Hell,
Blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

Did they get you to trade
Your heros for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange
A walk on part in a war,
For a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl,
Year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

x

Anonymous said...

Gald to have you back writing. I listened to part of the show on radio 2, then watched some on TV, I thought it was fab, I loved Annie,Madonna and of course Robbie.
I watched a news program on Sunday and they began to really slate the stars, why do people have to be so negative when someone tries to do something good. Gx